Confirm Course Communication
Your instructors will let you know how they plan to communicate with you and guidelines for the communication channel(s) selected. Confirm that your Canvas notifications are enabled.
Download and try out Zoom
for synchronous class that may take place as a virtual class on Zoom at the same day/time as your class would have taken place on campus (Eastern (EST) time zone).
Your course may contain additional assignments or quizzes in Canvas. Instructors may provide feedback on your assignments in Canvas.
Internet stability is critical. Check your internet connection and if you experience network slowness while attending class virtually, you can try turning off internet-heavy devices or services on your network, like Netflix streams or video game consoles.
Download Mobile Apps
Many of the Brown-supported software have mobile apps. Make sure that you have downloaded the mobile apps for the tools your instructor is using for remote teaching.
- Remote Learning Guide
- The Writing Center will hold appointments online. Please continue to schedule appointments. Students with existing appointments will receive an email from the Writing Center about how to connect.
- Writing Fellows will now meet online. Students in a Fellowed course will receive an email from their Fellow about how to connect.
- Academic Tutoring will continue to hold group sessions via Zoom. Tutees will receive an email from their tutor about how to connect. For specific questions, students may contact Janet Peters, Assistant Director.
- English Language Support will hold remote appointments. Please email [email protected]u to schedule an individualized language appointment. Students with existing appointments will be contacted by an ELS staff member.
- Students with questions or concerns about accessibility and accommodations should contact SEAS.
- For academic concerns, email [email protected]. An academic dean will respond as soon as possible. Beginning March 16, Academic Deans will hold virtual drop-in hours Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. via Zoom. Students may request an appointment slot here. Students will need to download and set up a free Brown zoom account. See instructions for using Zoom for advising appointments. Additional information will be published on the College website.
- Academic Coaches will continue to hold academic coaching group sessions via Zoom. Students who are currently working with an academic coach will receive an email about how to connect. For those who are interested in working with an academic coach, speak with an academic dean about the sign-up process by calling 401/863-9800 9:00 am - 5:00 pm or make an appointment for a meeting via zoom.